Betts Open Home Bakery

Betts brothers and Jack Carey proudly showcase desserts and pastries from their bakery.

Grant Chudler, Staff Writer

Sophomore Ricky Betts, former student Antonio Betts, and sophomore Jack Carey, have recently started a business out of Bett’s home called Betts Brothers Bakery.

The idea for opening a bakery came to the Betts brothers when they decided that they wanted to hold a bake sale. Ricky said this fledgling thought evolved into a business proposition when his brother got sale permits. “We had to get a food handling permit and a business permit. We had to have it approved by the Lafayette Chamber of Commerce,” he said.

The Betts make baked goods like cakes, cookies, and pastries. According to Ricky Betts, they fulfilled their largest order recently. “Our biggest one has been the castle cake we made which had to feed 40 people,” he explained.

The Betts’ bakery is housed in their home. Orders are done on their website. “Until we get bigger, for now it’s an online bakery delivery service,” said Ricky Betts. Antonio Betts usually handles delivery. “My brother usually drives around. If we can’t make the delivery, we have a bunch of people that are there that we can text to deliver things for us,” Ricky Betts said.

They had to wait 3 weeks to receive permits and sanitation approvals of their kitchen. “Our home kitchen was approved by the Lafayette State Health Department, because they had to inspect it,” said Betts.

“My hope is that one day we’ll be big enough to open our own shop in Lafayette, and have good business. We’re off to a good start. We’re just hoping it gets better,” Ricky Betts said.