American Sport Interests too Narrow

American Sport Interests too Narrow

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Jeff Gross

Beck Chambers, Staff Writer

Americans are sport enthusiasts, whether it’s the National Football League, the National Basketball Association, or Major League Baseball. Unfortunately, the scope of American sport interests remains narrow, and as a result, there are students who miss out on athletic opportunities they would otherwise discover to be more suitable to their individual attributes.

Here is a countdown of some of the most under appreciate sports that American high school students would be wise to consider.

7. Cricket: Cricket was brought to the American colonies by the British. Yet, our National Cricket team gets little attention. The squad is ranked among those in the International cricket championship (ICC) of league 3 after a 4th place finish in Uganda.

6. Badminton: The US national team does very well. The sport is played in the Olympics. In April, according to teamusa.org “3 Americans played in the VI Argentina International 2018, with all 3 placing in the top 4. The event is part of the Badminton World Federation Future Series.” These young players are not even in high school and are already showing dominance in the international stage.

5. Tennis: There have been many great American tennis players, from John McEnroe to Serena Williams.  Williams has won most grand slam single titles (23). Andy Roddick won Wimbolden in 2009 .

4. Curling. Traditionally a Norther European sport most common in Sweden and other Scandinavian countries, the USA mens’ curling team was able to come away with the gold in the Olympics at Pyeongchang.

3. Diving/Synchronized Swimming: Campolindo sent divers to the state championships this year, and USA women’s synchronized swim team includes current Campolindo students.

2. Cross country Skiing: The athletes who compete in this sport deserve the highest respect. The sport requires skill and endurance. In the recent winder Olympics, Americans were able to come away with the 1st  medal by an American women, the 1st gold by any gender, and the 1st medal of any color since Bill Koch took the silver at 30 kilometers in 1976, according to the LA Times.

1. Handball: The sport is European dominated. According to The Boston Globe “If you watch one game, it’s abundantly clear that the United States is stocked with potential talent.”

Beck Chambers, Staff Writer

"Scuba diving is a key aspect in my life that shapes my character. Despite all the dangers and risks, its an amazing activity" said Beck Chambers.

Chambers,...

1 Comment

One Response to “American Sport Interests too Narrow”

1. Moko on June 7th, 2018 3:42 pm

Hi Chris, Refer to our post, but in previous years the main event has been held on The Great Lawn at Broadwater Parklands, Southport between 4pm-8pm. There has been over 20 food trucks and BBQ’s as well as plenty of activities for the kids and local musicians playing at the main stage. To finish off the day, there is typically a fireworks display at around 8pm. Other highlights have included an Aussie Sporting Zone with activities from the Gold Coast Suns, the Gold Coast Titans and Queensland Cricket. There will also be heaps of other activities spread all over the Gold Coast, including RSL lunches, beach cricket and live music. Best regards, Jess

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Backstage Pass to Holiday Tradition

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Vandals Ravage Community Schools

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Teens Troll Neighborhood App

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Drama Drops After-School Productions

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Marine Science Club Protects Sea Turtles

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Reading Culture Waning Among Teens

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Tennis Clinic Teaches Special Needs Athletes

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

New Club Targets Student Stress

• Lifestyle

Council Convenes Inclusive Group

• American Sport Interests too Narrow

Lifestyle

Club Sends Well Wishes to Ill Children

American Sport Interests too Narrow