Reading Culture Waning Among Teens

Reading Culture Waning Among Teens

Nicole Kennedy and Erika Riedel

The internet plays a huge role in modern American schools. Campus courses use websites, apps, and devices nearly every day. Meanwhile, use of physical books for guidance, information, and enjoyment is fading away.

While the Campolindo library is frequented by up to 650 students a day, most kids who enter the library are not there to check out their favorite Harry Potter novel.

According to sophomore Katie Stephens, she only goes to the library to print out homework she forgot to do at home or to seek warmth during chilly mornings. “I haven’t checked out a book since elementary school,” she said.

Stephens isn’t alone.

According to librarian Sarah Morgan, the sensors that keep track of the number of people that enter and exit the entrance of the library daily shows that only 4% checking out a book.

This wasn’t always the case. When she was an elementary school librarian, Morgan said the experience was different. Each elementary student would take home at least 1 book per week from the library.

“[In elementary school] kids would scramble for the next book in the series. Kids would also put books on hold. Now at Campo students occasionally do that but that is probably only 1 or 2 times a year,” said Morgan.

Morgan thinks that the busy schedule of Moraga teens may be responsible for the decrease in reading culture because kids “don’t have much time” to read. Technology, she said, also distracts kids from finishing any book that they do check out.

According to The Washington Post, the amount of Americans who read for fun has fallen more than 30% since 2004 and continues to drop today. This may be attributed to the 89% of Americans that now depend on the internet for information, the Pew Research Center found, as opposed to the information in books.

“I would rather watch T.V. than read a book any day,” said sophomore Olivia Knutson. “I rarely have free time and reading takes too much concentration.”

Morgan said she wished more students would try to take the time to appreciate books. “Free reading choice also helps kids feel like they are in control of their lives because sometimes preteens feel like they are being bossed around and that they don’t have any choice. A library should be a place where you can do anything.”

Nicole Kennedy, Staff Writer

Sophomore Nicole Kennedy, has played volleyball for 7 years and is currently on Campo's girl's varsity volleyball team. She has played club at Red Rock this past year, but her first year she played on LMYA.

Kennedy has been to volleyball tournaments and qualifiers in Denver, Washington State, and Reno. "Volleyball has taught me how to be on a team and how to perform well under pressure. It's a really big team sport. The people you meet stay with you for life," she said.

If she's not playing volleyball, she loves to eat bread and strawberries while watching Big Brother, House Hunters: International, and animal documentaries.

She joined the Journalism staff to "have fun, meet new people, and be Mr. Woolridge's best friend."

In the future, Kennedy plans to "not die young and just have fun by doing what makes [her] happy."

Erika Riedel, Staff Writer

Sophomore Erika Riedel enjoys playing volleyball and helping others through community service. At Stanley Middle School, Riedel worked with the community...