Instagram Cultivates Basketball Fan Base

Dianda Giles, Staff Writer

During the winter sport season, seniors Garret Dunn, Brett Donat, John Cirelli, and Giorgio Alessandria created an Instagram account dubbed “@Campo6thMan” in an effort to inspire greater support of the Campolindo basketball squad.

The account is mainly run by Dunn, who takes great joy in following the highs and lows of the team. “The interviews are the best part — after each match-up, we pick a player of the game and ask them questions about their performance,” he said.

According to Dunn, Associate Principal Jon Drury called in the group of seniors for a tagged “6th Man Academy,” where the group discussed ways to promote positive cheering during basketball games. The seniors decided that an Instagram account would be effective.  The account is now followed by over 400 people.

“I like the account,” said senior basketball player Ryan Jeter. “In the past, the basketball fan-base was smaller than it is now, so it’s pretty evident that 6th man encourages students to be more involved with our team.”

On March 5, when the squad played Junipero Serra High School in the Northern California final, @Campo6thMan encouraged fans to arrive at the game early to buy tickets and find seating.

Junior Luke VandenBerghe said, “I didn’t read the LoopMail with information about the Serra game, but I checked @Campo6thMan and I was able to get to the game early and buy a ticket.”

“We made sure that we had multiple messages going out before the game,” said Dunn. “It was very important that we had a large crowd for the game– and the ‘Red C’ did not disappoint.”