Peer Group Inspires “Hawaiian Fridays” Trend

Dianda Giles, Staff Writer

Senior Steven Chilimidos and his friends have been encouraging “Hawaiian Fridays” in anticipation of the end of the school year. The fashion trend originated among Chilimidos’ friend group, but has since spread across the senior class and peaked on Friday, May 31.

“I noticed some guys wearing the shirts during the school year,” said senior Lila Chatterton. “I thought it was entertaining, so I also decided to join them and wear a Hawaiian shirt on Fridays to humor their tradition.”

The group took to social media as soon as they noticed, encouraging fellow students to don the tropical patterns. Senior Graham Velek said, “It became a fun game of wearing cool shirts to school and matching with my friends. It feels good to see Campo students joining our tradition on Fridays and wearing shirts.”

The original group consists of seniors Hunter Coakley, Derek and Peter Schmitz, Aidan Roake, Nick Shaw, Will Weaver, Steven Chilimidos, Graham Velek, Jake Wykle, and Jack Saroni.

Some have taken the trend a step further, wearing sunglasses, flip flops, and sun hats on warmer days to “really fit the Hawaiian tourist theme,” said Chilimidos.

“I didn’t think it would catch on, but there seemed to be a growing number of people who were wearing Hawaiian shirts around school,” added Chilimidos.