Action Film Considers Gender Identity

Mariel Rossi-deVries, Lifestyle Editor

Written and directed by Video 2 and 3 students, the Video Tech Department’s annual action film project combines comedy with the sober social topic of gender identity.

“It’s also a comedy, but it addresses gender issues and how people are assuming others’ gender,” said junior Colin Reynolds.

The project’s requirements include a fight scene, chase scene, and character development. “We are doing it where someone assumes another’s gender and an argument ensues. It’s comedic but it also addresses modern issues,” said Reynolds.

Senior Stevan Georgiev explained that the premise of the short film is based on their project from the previous year, which included a dropped wallet and an intense chase scene. According to Georgiev, this year’s film provides a new perspective, beginning with a “good Samaritan” picking up the wallet and returning it to its owner, who unwittingly thanks the person using gender binary language. “The guy is part of the LGBT community, he doesn’t identify as a man,” said Georgiev. This provides a point of conflict that launches the action for the rest of the film.

The film remains lighthearted, with only that subtle nod to modern gender issues.”Before the project we all brainstormed and I think our team member Ryan Schultze thought it was a good idea because it is serious and we still get comedic value,” said Reynolds.

The project allows advanced video students to showcase their cinematic skills. Senior Ryan Schultze said, “Each person has a specific role. We have the camera operator and the director, so it’s based around that structure. Personally, I’ve stayed as an actor, but I know the other students like to direct and operate the camera so we rotate through those [roles].”

Reynolds and Schulze are acting while Georgiev is working behind the camera as producer and director. “He basically dictates what we do and the storyline,” said Reynolds.

The other member of their film crew is junior Zach Goldman, who has assumed the editing responsibilities.

“I think it has definitely helped with developing how we work as a team,” said Schulze.

Their pre-production work included writing the script. They only have 25-30 minutes per period to shoot for the project and will then begin editing footage the week following.