Back to School Focus Includes Student Wellness

Molly Kelly-Soldner and Gracie Woidat

Faculty gave parents an opportunity to learn how to help their students balance their classes, specifically in regards to mental health, at back to school night on August 30.

Principal John Walker opened the night, reviewing several of Campolindo’s achievements, such as a 98% college attendance rate by graduates.  Walker also discussed new goals for the campus.

Mental health, specifically the stigma that surrounds it, is a primary concern. Walker reassured parents that guidance counselors in the recently established Wellness Center are there to help students “set up a good schedule, helping them plan out their activities so they have enough time to get enough sleep, enough time to relax, enough time for homework.”

In addition, Walker acknowledged that the campus Equity Team is working to improve the school climate. “We’re having a growing number of students of color, and we want to make sure that this is a school that is welcoming, that is engaging, that is challenging, that is friendly for all of our students,” said Walker.

After Walker’s speech, parents visited classrooms. Leadership students were dispersed over the campus to help parents find their students’ classes.

President of the Campolindo Parents club Stacy Giglio encouraged parents to get involved during the event by donating and volunteering. “Donating to MEF [Moraga Education Foundation] is really critical for our school to be able to offer the classes and programs that it has,” said Giglio. 

According to PE teacher Coach Walsh, “The greater the parent involvement in the school, the more successful school and the less issues there are.”

This year, the teachers focused less on explaining the curriculum of their classes and more on showing why their class is important and what students would hopefully take away. “I think they get a sense of the culture of this school when coming to back to school night,” said history teacher Molly Kerr.

Learning about the teachers’ personalities and expectations of their students was meant to establish connections between parents and the school faculty. “I think it’s getting to know the teachers and putting a face to the name, and orienting myself to the school grounds. It makes me feel like I know a little more of what they’re doing everyday here at school,” said parent Lenore Morgridge.

Gracie Woidat, Staff Writer

Sophomore Gracie Woidat enjoys volunteering at the Lawrence Hall of Science during the summer, where she is stationed at various exhibits to explain to...