Beijing University Educators Visit Campus

Finn Welch, Staff Writer

Future Teachers of America (FTA) sent 26 student teachers-in-training from the Beijing Normal University in Beijing, China, to the Acalanes school district in late October.

Over the course of their 3-week trip, the visiting educators observed instruction in various classrooms on the Campolindo campus.

Sarah Morgan, librarian and the main Campolindo coordinator for the visit, explained that the student teachers “are in college right now, getting their master’s degree, and their teaching credentials, so they’ve done almost everything to become an actual teacher except really study the methods of how to be a teacher.”

3 Beijing professors accompanied the student-teachers on their visit and acted as coordinators for their activities.

“They’re making observations and learning from cool things that we do, and they are even learning what not to do,” said Morgan.

Sophomore Hannah Westphal was shadowed by 2 of the student-teachers and showed them around campus to help them understand life at Campolindo. “I like talking with them and learning about Chinese culture, and I also help them understand our culture,” said Westphal.

According to Morgan, the professors required the student-teachers to write 4 research papers focusing on the American education system before returning to Beijing.

Beijing Normal student-teacher Charlotte Chao said she came to America “to study how to teach, and when I come back to China, I will use these categories to teach my class.” Fellow student-teacher Tong Dang wanted to “observe the PE class, and to do some listener projects.”

Morgan also explained that the program placed the visiting student-teachers with families in the community so they could learn about “family life in California.”

Finn Welch, Staff Writer

Freshman Finn Welch has a love of writing and language that led him to take the journalism class as an elective. He has also decided to take German in order to pursue fluency in a language he had been taught since he was 10 years old.

Welch explained his family was from Austria and most of his relatives on his dad's side speak German, which "really encouraged" him to start learning. His father often speaks German often at home as well, so Welch taught himself using apps and private teachers, and is excited to learn more at Campolindo.

Outside of the classroom, Welch enjoys soccer, which he has been playing since he was 5 years old. Currently, he is on a club soccer team called the "O-5 Black" and hopes to try out for Campo soccer this winter.

Welch is already eager to begin getting ready for college and his future career, with focus on computer sciences and programming.