Van Dyke Leads Girls’ Hoops to State

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

Varsity girls’ basketball advanced to the California State Championships with a win over St. Mary’s College High School, 78-56, in the CIF Division III Northern regional championship game on March 18.

Junior Haley Van Dyke set CIF Northern regional girls championship game records in all divisions for points scored (46), and a NorCal Division III girls championship game record for most rebounds (20).

“I didn’t even notice [that I made that many points]. I felt the entire team contributed the same,” Van Dyke said in an interview with Mercury News. “I’m so happy we are going to state,” she added. The previous record was 34 points set by Balboa-SF’s Brandy Reed in 1993.

“[Van Dyke] definitely scored a lot, but she wasn’t being a ball hog or anything. I think it was just a complete team effort,” said Van Dyke’s teammate junior Ashley Thoms.

Campolindo held at least an 8-point lead for the entire 2nd half, initiating their key run in the 2nd quarter.  Thoms was the team’s next highest scorer with 17 points. “I think our ball movement and a whole team effort was what helped us keep a lead,” said Thoms.

“I think that playing as a team was really important because if we didn’t do that, then it would have been really bad. The other team mostly played individually, so I think it helped that we worked together to score more points,” added sophomore Jasmine Xiong.

The team, with a season record of 27-6, will make its 1st appearance in the state title game in over a decade.

Campolindo will face off against no. 1 ranked Rosary Academy on March 24 at 2pm in the Golden 1 Center in Sacramento. The team watched a film of Rosary Academy to prepare their defense, and scrimmaged the boys’ team to “get their game up.”

“We have a pretty good idea of what they run on offense and defense,” added Thoms.

With the game taking place during the school day in Sacramento, the Cougars may not have the benefit of the large cheering section that supported them through much of the post season. “I don’t think [the amount of students attending the game] makes a difference for us, but it might make a difference for the other team if we have a lot of students and they’re cheering and [the other team] might be a little overwhelmed,” said Thoms.