Cougars Sweep Cross Country Championships

Beck Chambers, Staff Writer

Cross country competed in the Diablo Athletic League championships on November 4, claiming team victories in all 6 divisions (Frosh-Soph boys, Frosh-Soph girls, Junior Varsity boys, Junior Varsity girls, Varsity boys, and Varsity girls).

The frosh-soph girls’ squad scored 35 points, beating out Las Lomas’ 63. The frosh soph boys scored 36, ahead of College Park at 53 points.

“I am glad that the team swept, and for me personally, it was good overall,” said sophomore Sam Morasch, who finished 2nd overall and 1st for his team in the frosh soph boys’ race.

Senior Jeremy Ahn was at the front of a string of Campolindo athletes who took the 1st 7 places in the junior varsity boys’ race.  Ahn’s squad completed a perfect score (15 points) against the rest of the league.

The girls’ junior varsity scored 30 points for the victory.

The varsity held off Las Lomas, which ran an inspired race to come within 16 points of the defending champion Cougars. Junior Teddy Buckley finished 1st for his team and 3rd overall.

Buckley was followed by freshman Dylan Gunn, who took 6th overall. Gunn said, “I really enjoyed my performance and my time, and I wanted to beat College Park’s number 1 as well as Northgate and Las Lomas.”

Gunn added that he believes his team is ready for the NCS Championships coming up this weekend, and hopes to qualify for state.

The varsity girls had 4 runners in the top 10. Senior Isabella Chao ran at the front of the race wire-to-wire.  She was motivated by the absence of her 2 senior teammates, Hannah Ruane and Jenna Miles.  Ruane is out with a stress fracture while Miles missed the championship race due to a concussion she suffered after knocking her head on her locker door.

“I wrote [Hannah and Jenna’s] names on my hands to help get me through the race.” Chao was followed by sophomore Alicia Hober, who placed 4.

Cross Country coach Chuck Woolridge said, “We had 3 league champions: Bianca Chao (JV), Isabella Chao (varsity) and Jeremy Ahn (JV), and they ran very well.  Our varsity girls, without some key members in the line up, still competed well largely due to the improved performances of Alicia Hober and Ellie Guthrie, who ended up being our 5th scorer.”