Soccer Scores Unexpected NCS Title

Soccer Scores Unexpected NCS Title

Ethan Khakmahd

Ethan Khakmahd

Ethan Khakmahd

Madeleine Singh, Sports Editor

Girls’ varsity soccer took home the Division III North Coast Section title, their 1st NCS title since 2014, by beating Analy High School 3-0 on February 24.  As a result, the squad will compete in the 1st-ever CIF NorCal Regional tournament.

This post-season’s success is an improvement over last year; In 2017, the team lost in the NCS quarter finals.

Senior Azalea Kim, one of the team’s captains, explained that the improvement wasn’t skill-based, but rather due to team dynamic. “I don’t think it’s ever been an issue of talent, because in the past we’ve had some great players, but I think that this year especially, it’s just been our team chemistry and how we work together,” she explained. “In the beginning of the season, we were kind of scattered, but as soon as we were able to start playing for each other and play as a team, that’s when our season changed.”

Sophomore Celia Campo, who was responsible for 2 of the team’s 3 goals in the NCS final, agreed with Kim. “With the leadership we had by our captains, everyone was much more connected, and we did a lot of team bonding,” she said. “I think that by doing stuff outside of soccer, it really helped us on the field, and we obviously have a really good coach, too.”

Ernesto Silva has been the girls’ varsity head coach at Campolindo for over a decade.

Some players began the season without much hope for a section title. “It was really exciting because at the beginning of the season, no one really thought we were even gonna make it to NCS, so the fact that we won it all was just such a good experience,” said Campo. “I really love everyone on my team, and it really fun to experience that with my teammates.”

“I think I’m just really lucky that this is my final season, because we’ve come a long way from the past 2 years,” Kim said. “It’s been a process of rebuilding and building up trust in each other and the desire to play as a team, so to be able to go out like this, it’s awesome.”

Heading into the single-elimination NorCal Regional tournament, the team doesn’t intend to change any of its strategies. “We’re just gonna keep doing what we’ve been doing these past few games, and just try to play simple,” said junior Julia Colombini.

“I think we’re honestly just gonna keep doing what we’ve been doing because it worked, and we were successful with that,” agreed Campo.

Round 1 of the tournament will take place on March 6 at 4pm (location TBA).

About the Writer
Madeleine Singh, Opinion Editor

Madeleine Singh is a senior at Campolindo and is looking forward to her 4th year as a member of the La Puma staff.

Singh served as sports editor during...