Volleyball Downs Dons after Slow Start

Volleyball Downs Dons after Slow Start

Amanda Young, Business Editor

The girls’ varsity volleyball team beat Acalanes  on the Don’s home court in 4 sets on October 10.

The game started out slowly for the Cougars, with the Dons winning 25-13 in the 1st set. “We didn’t start the game very strong. We made a lot of mistakes and they got a lot of points on us,” said sophomore defensive specialist and libero Brianna Lee.

Lee filled in for senior captain Sarah Carrasco, who normally starts at the libero position, but was sidelined due to a dislocated elbow she suffered the previous weekend.  “I hadn’t played since the Friday before, so she started in the 1st set, but Bri is awesome; she’s really good,” said Carrasco.

Part of the Cougars’ struggles may have been the result of their easy victory over the Dons earlier in the season. “I just think that we got a little too confident and we thought we were going to beat Acalanes coming into it. Once they beat us in that 1st set, it kind of opened our eyes because they were playing really well that day, and it forced us to try our hardest,” said middle hitter, sophomore Erin Thomas.

Carrasco added that the energetic Acalanes environment and players playing in different positions contributed to the slow start. “The Acalanes environment is interesting to play in, as is any rivalry match. There’s definitely a lot of tension and cheering’s crazy, and you’re getting used to it,” said Carrasco. “We started with a little different lineup than we normally do- we were kind of experimenting- so that also kind of contributed to the 1st set. We started off a little rough, but luckily it got better.”

Carrasco noted that other players also started in different positions. “It was a little bit unfamiliar, but it’s not like those people have no talent or ability to play at all- it just wasn’t what they were used to,” she said.

Campo won the next 3 sets, 25-19, 25-19, and 25-15.

Junior outside hitter Grace Godfrey had a 6-serve run in the 3rd set that helped Campolindo come back from a 9-5 deficit. Carrasco said it was “her night.”

“Overall, the game meant a lot to me and my team because we were able to block out all of the outside pressure and instead play for each other which made the game so much fun and led to us winning,” Godfrey said.

About the Writer
Amanda Young, Business Editor

Amanda Young, a sophomore at Campolindo, was a gymnast for 9 years before quitting due to a back injury. Though she is no longer able to participate in...