Cirelli Returns to Lacrosse Roster

Cirelli Returns to Lacrosse Roster

Ava Charlesworth, Staff Writer

The boys’ lacrosse team begins practices January 28 while the girls’ team starts tryouts on January 29.

Senior John Cirelli, who played as a freshman and sophomore, is “expecting the team to be a lot better than last season” and is eagerly anticipating the mix between new players and the experienced veterans, like “key players” junior Jean Luc Axelrod and seniors Paddo Buckley and Matt Gagan.

For the girls, the upcoming season will have several new faces.

Junior Devon Ortman, who tallied 25 assists last season, said she is “excited about the new people and new energy,” after the loss of some star graduated seniors and a new addition to the coaching staff, Devon Combe.

Ortman is also hopeful that her squad will defeat rivals Acalanes and Miramonte. “We lost to Miramonte 2 times last season, but they lost a lot of seniors, so it’s looking good,” said Ortman.

Sophomore Hanna Westphal, 1 of the top scorers last season, is most looking forward to the team’s chemistry. “I think it’s going to be more fun and we’re going to work really hard, which is more important than being the best of the best. Our captains have already started planning dress up day themes and bonding events. We’re going to be really close,” she said.

About the Writer
Ava Charlesworth, Staff Writer

Senior Ava Charlesworth spends most of her free time making a difference in her community. Aside from being a president for Campolindo's Project Open Hands club, Charlesworth has also been volunteering with the Special Olympics for the past 6 months, helping coach special needs children in softball.

When she was in middle school, Charlesworth had classes with special needs children and "noticed that they were capable of doing more tasks than they were given credit for." It was through these interactions that she decided to help others.

"I grew up with a boy named Tyler, who was one of my classmates," added Charlesworth. "I could see how capable he was of participating in sports, and how much he wanted to be included."

This year, Charlesworth will help lead Project Open Hands in planning its 3 annual events: a Halloween carnival in the fall, a basketball event in the winter, and a baseball event in the spring. Anyone can attend the events, which are organized to cater to special needs children and adults.

"There's no special ed program at Campo, so it's important that our community includes everyone and learns how to interact with one another," Charlesworth said.