Private Swim Team Offers Pre-season Prep

Jessica Rosiak, Sports Editor

While the official high school spring sport season has only just begun, Orinda Aquatic coaches have offered workouts to swimmers in the Lamorinda region throughout the winter.

Orinda Aquatics, which is a privately run program, uses the Campolindo Soda Aquatic Center and is open to students from any high school.

Sophomore Connie Kim said that while most don’t even notice which swimmer comes from which school, its a good way to “get to know a lot of other people from other schools.”

Though not mandatory, sophomore Jessica Long said that approximately a quarter of the Campolindo swim team shows up on any given day. The extra time spent in the water, she said, is a “good way to get started and feel comfortable with the coaches and the swimmers,” as well as build confidence leading into the spring season.

Kim said that the participants are mostly those who are not varsity, seniors, or year-round swimmers. “If you are not a year-round swimmer, it is hard to jump into the swim season because you kinda die in the water…so it’s better to just think of it as a longer warm up before the actual season,” said Kim.

Freshman Maggie Hawkins said that the swimmers are “working on our stroke techniques and just getting back into it.”

Long added that she thought the combined swim practice helped students “see their skill sets and their weaknesses.”

About the Writer
Jessica Rosiak, Sports Editor

Jessica Rosiak, a sophomore at Campolindo, has always looked forward to exploring new places around the world. "I enjoy going to places that are unique...